chocolate cake (recipe from the Philipines)

Since we all know how a chocolate cake looks like, I thought that a pic from the Philipines would be more interesting.
In case you're wondering why on earth someone would choose a recipe from so far away, let me tell you that this is not any cake, it's a magic one.
It all started when I was living in Australia and was organizing my daughter's 10th birthday. I wanted to do all by myself, decoration, food, games etc. But I didn't want to take risks with the cake, so I asked people if they had a real good recipe. A Philipinean friend gave me this one and said it was impossible to ruin it. For some reason I believed her. While I was baking the cake, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten one of the ingredients and the cake was already half baked. I had no choice but taking it off the oven and blending it with the missing ingredient. Despite what happened, the cake turned out beautiful and delicious. Everybody loved it!
Enough talking about it, let's get down to work! 

Dry Ingredients
 2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa

Wet Ingredients
 2 eggs
1 cup maionese (that's right!)
11/2 cup water 
Method
Mix all the dry ingredients, reserve. Beat the eggs, add mayonnaise, water. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan and bake it for 45 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you touch it. 

The cake is quite dark, so I like to serve it with a marshmellow topping. Love the contrast! 

No comments: